Eng English
China 中国人

Eng English
China 中国人
  • News
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Law
  • Education
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Science
  • Digital
  • Automobiles
  • Trở lại Thể thao
  • Sports
Monday, 18/5/2026 | 19:20 GMT+7

Ruud: "Sinner is as strong as Federer, Djokovic, Nadal at 25"

After losing to Jannik Sinner 6-4, 6-4 in the Rome Masters 1000 final on 17/5, Norwegian tennis player Casper Ruud admitted he faced a star of an entirely different caliber.

"The core issue is that Sinner is extraordinary," Ruud said after the one-hour 45-minute final. "Having faced many top players in my career, I can confirm that few reach that level. If anyone does, it's a rare occurrence."

Ruud played a solid match. He responded resiliently and evenly against the world's number one star for the first 45 minutes, when Sinner started somewhat hesitantly. However, the momentum shifted as the Italian player gradually imposed his rhythm and maintained consistency in every rally, making it impossible for Ruud to keep up.

By winning the Rome Masters, Sinner became the only male player since Novak Djokovic eight years ago to win all nine tournaments in the ATP Masters 1000 series. The Serbian superstar achieved this after completing the final piece in Cincinnati in 2018. Sinner also matched Rafael Nadal's record of winning all three clay-court Masters 1000 tournaments in a single season. In 2010, the "King of Clay" also achieved a historic treble at Monte-Carlo, Madrid, and Rome before winning at Roland Garros.

Currently, Sinner's dominance instills fear in his opponents, while fans of the player born in 2001 are elated at the prospect of a historic season. Except for a stumble at the Australian Open 2026, where Carlos Alcaraz claimed victory, the rest of the season to date has been a solo performance by Sinner.

Once again, Alcaraz's name came up in Ruud's interview. "Yes, Carlos and Jannik belong to that rare class," he explained. "I never faced the 'Big 3' at their peak, only towards the end of their careers. At that time, I thought they were slightly easier opponents. But anyone who faced Federer, Djokovic, or Nadal at 25 must have experienced a similar feeling to mine against Jannik this time. And unfortunately for his opponents, I see no signs of him slowing down."

Sinner's successful run on clay this season was a question mark a month and a half ago. Last year, he showed "potential" by reaching the finals of the Foro Italico and Roland Garros, but in 2026, Sinner made a spectacular breakthrough, successively overpowering every opponent in Monte-Carlo, Madrid, and then Rome.

Sinner has won 29 consecutive matches since his last defeat on 19/2 in Doha, and he has established a 34-match unbeaten streak in Masters 1000 tournaments, accompanied by a record six consecutive titles in this series.

Ruud also explained his dip in form at the end of the first set and the beginning of the second set, when Sinner pulled ahead. "He served too well, and I couldn't do much in my service games," the 27-year-old admitted. "My shots were a bit shallow. And when you hit shallow and inaccurate shots against Jannik, he will dominate every corner of the court, leaving you helpless."

Last year, Ruud experienced this bitter lesson when Sinner crushed him 6-0, 6-1 in just one hour. Returning to Rome this time, after watching Sinner's intense semifinal against Daniil Medvedev, Ruud had devised a strategy: to test the Italian player's stamina.

"When I stepped onto the court, I told myself that the longer the match lasted, the greater my chances," he recounted. "But you can't dictate the match duration when facing Jannik. Normally, he just steps onto the court and destroys his opponent in an hour. At least this final lasted a bit longer."

Meanwhile, Sinner reminisced about 2019, his first time participating in the Rome Masters. "That match, I played against Steve Johnson," Sinner said. "Back then, I just wanted to avoid making a fool of myself. I come from a village with only 2,000 residents, where people mainly ski, so I never thought I would be in this position today. I will always try to give 100%."

The victory in Rome solidified Sinner's position as world number one, widening the gap with his pursuers. He is now 2,740 points ahead of Alcaraz, and this gap is even described as a "vast chasm" compared to world number three Alexander Zverev, who trails Sinner by 8,995 points. Djokovic is currently ranked fourth and is 9,990 points behind Sinner.

Sinner will head to Paris as the number one favorite for the Roland Garros 2026 title, where he has the opportunity to extend this lead to a record level. Alcaraz, who has been sidelined due to injury since 14/4, will automatically have 2,000 points deducted from his 2025 title, while Sinner could gain an additional 700 points if he wins his first clay-court Grand Slam.

The 24-year-old Italian player has now spent 71 weeks as world number one. Therefore, regardless of the outcome at Roland Garros, he will certainly surpass Swedish legend Stefan Edberg (72 weeks) after the tournament concludes. Sinner's next target at 10th place is former Australian player Lleyton Hewitt (80 weeks).

Hoang Thong compiled

By VnExpress: https://vnexpress.net/ruud-sinner-manh-nhu-federer-djokovic-nadal-o-tuoi-25-5075345.html
Tags: Novak Djokovic Roger Federer Casper Ruud Jannik Sinner Carlos Alcaraz Rafael Nadal

News in the same category

Nadal: 'Alcaraz is right to withdraw from Roland Garros'

Nadal: 'Alcaraz is right to withdraw from Roland Garros'

Former tennis player Rafael Nadal supports Carlos Alcaraz's withdrawal from Roland Garros due to injury, while admitting regret over his 2023 hip surgery.

Rooney advises coach Slot to ban Salah

Rooney advises coach Slot to ban Salah

Former football star Wayne Rooney sharply criticizes Mohamed Salah's selfishness after the forward continued to subtly attack head coach Arne Slot.

Messi angered by Inter Miami fans

Messi angered by Inter Miami fans

After Inter Miami’s 2-0 victory over Portland Timbers in MLS, captain Lionel Messi reacted strongly to the rowdy fan group La Familia at their home Nu Stadium.

The potential of women's esports through Teamfight Tactics' achievements at SNC

The potential of women's esports through Teamfight Tactics' achievements at SNC

At the Teamfight Tactics event during the SEA Esports Nations Cup (SNC) 2026, two Vietnamese female athletes won silver and bronze medals, respectively.

The laboratory behind the sub-two-hour marathon feat

The laboratory behind the sub-two-hour marathon feat

Carbohydrate-rich drinks, bicarbonate mixtures, and hydrogel technology from Swedish sports nutrition company Maurten are becoming the secret weapons behind new marathon records, challenging the long-standing dominance of "super shoes"

Vietnamese game industry seizes opportunity for global breakthrough

Vietnamese game industry seizes opportunity for global breakthrough

Attracting 35,000 attendees, 100 companies from 25 countries, and top Southeast Asian esports athletes, Vietnam GameVerse 2026 is realizing the vision of 'going global together' as declared by Director Le Quang Tu Do.

Newcastle 3-1 West Ham

Newcastle 3-1 West Ham

One goal from Nick Woltemade and two goals from William Osula for Newcastle on 17/5 further diminish West Ham's hopes of remaining in the Premier League after the 2025-2026 season.

Thanh Thuy leads Long An to safety in international women's volleyball tournament

Thanh Thuy leads Long An to safety in international women's volleyball tournament

Star attacker Tran Thi Thanh Thuy shone, leading Binh Dien Long An to a 3-1 comeback victory over Binh Chung Thong Tin, securing a spot in the semifinals of the VTV9 - Binh Dien 2026 international women's volleyball tournament.

Truong Vinh Hien wins PPA Asia Kuala Lumpur Open

Truong Vinh Hien wins PPA Asia Kuala Lumpur Open

Vietnam's top pickleball player, Truong Vinh Hien, claimed the men's singles title at the PPA Asia Kuala Lumpur Open on 17/5/2026, remaining undefeated throughout the tournament.

Quang Liem secures spot at esports world cup

Quang Liem secures spot at esports world cup

Vietnam's top chess player, Le Quang Liem, has qualified for the esports world cup (EWC) for the first time, joining renowned grandmasters such as Magnus Carlsen in the finals.

Eng English
China 中国人
  • News
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Law
  • Education
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Science
  • Digital
  • Automobiles
FPT Tower, 10 Pham Van Bach Street, Dich Vong Ward,
Cau Giay District, Hanoi, Vietnam
Email: contacts@vnportal.net
Tel: 028 7300 9999 - Ext 8556
Advertise with us: 090 293 9644
Register
© Copyright 2026 vnnow.net. All rights reserved.
Terms of use Privacy policy Cookies